Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Subtle Smokey Eyes


If you have almond shaped eyes, here’s a way to make them pop for a wedding with a trendy, modern chic smoky make up. (And no, modern smoky is not about smearing black eye shadow/kohl all over your lids.)
  • First, wear primer. I at times use Sudocrem as a primer, in very little touches. My skin is very dry and my make up needs something to cling on. So I dab drops of the product on the apple of my cheeks, my forehead, nose and chin. I also apply a generous coat of Labello lip balm and wait for 20 minutes for the products to sink in.
  • Apply concealer. I use the Yves Rocher Concealer  in Medium. I apply it with a thin brush on fine lines and spots and redness. Never apply the product generously. Always layer the product if you need more coverage. 
  • Apply BB cream; I recommend the Garnier BB Creme a lighter formula than usual foundations, they give a fair coverage (if you don’t need much, that is.) It will keep your skin fresh and hydrated, for that youthful, plump look. Work it into your skin with your fingers, it blends wonderfully.
  • Apply a beige eye shadow all over your eyelid in a very thin layer. Using Bourjois Smoky Eyes in Gris Dandy, use the charcoal colour and apply sparsely on the outer ¾ of your eyes. Blend, without bleeding to the crease line (gives a much more modern effect). Enhance the outer corner by creating a V shape with the black eye shadow. The outer V helps enhance your eye shape. You can even add some kohl to really accentuate the elongated shape. Remember to use little product. You can always build up later. Wear very black eyeliner with a winged shape that won’t overpower your eye shadow blend. Add a coat of mascara on your upper and lower lashes, separate your lashes with a lash brush. Correct any mistakes with the brush with which you applied your BB cream or concealer.
  • Apply a light shower of peach toned or pink toned blush on the apple of your cheeks. I use Bourjois Blush in Brun Cuivre .The eyes are dolled up enough and your cheeks only need subtle sculpting. Smile and dab a very light touch of gold shadow on the apple of your cheeks for a day event. Blend with your powder blush for a sun kissed effect. For a night event, a silvery cream shimmer will give a dewy effect. Remember to blend with a cream blush.
  • Now that your balm has sunk in, apply a very light coral toned lipstick like . (Not orange. You will always find the coral shade that suits you.) Mine is a coral from Estee Lauder, but I doubt it is still available.  Dab a very light touch of clear gloss at the centre of your lips. If you need a lip pencil, use a flesh toned one. The lips have to be natural.
My focus is on the intensity of the black colour that fades subtly to emphasise your eye shape and give an overall sultry effect. The halo will not be overbearing. Try browns from Bourjois if blacks are too harsh on you. My products are for a fairly average budget but provide a great, lasting finish. My aim is this look I found gorgeous on Marion Cotillard:

Voila! You are done!


No comments:

Post a Comment